Sunday 25 December 2011

The Skirt


Ever since I was about 10 years old, I cut, sewed, chopped, deconstucted & reconstructed dresses & outfits from my mom's closet.  For my 13th birthday, I received a new electrified sewing machine (before that I used my grandmother's treadle machine).  My mom was very tolerant of my successful and unsuccessful crafting.  The only piece of clothing she was attached to was her Vogue Toronto ultramarine blue skirt from the 1950's which she wore a crinoline underneath.  Every few years she asked me "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TAFFETA SKIRT?????".  I didn't chop it, so it has remained intact. Lisa brought the skirt to Cathy of Sew Busy Alterations a couple of weeks ago, and she worked her magic.  Today, she'll wear it on Christmas Day, and we are going to see if Mom recognizes it with 1/2 of the material taken away.  My money is on Oma--Brian thinks she'll recognize it, David & Adam think she will, Lisa & Colin say no way.  Can't wait to see.....


No comments:

Post a Comment